Even if you get the best therapist and therapy in the world, your health and healing still rest to some extent in your own hands. Help yourself by practicing the following:
· Start each day in a positive frame of mind.
· Eat healthily and sensibly, with lots of fresh vegetables, fruits, whole grains, nuts, seeds, and other healthy proteins, and avoid junk foods, saturated fats, and excess sugars and salt.
· Drink plenty of fresh water; eight glasses sipped during the course of the day is a good amount to aim for.
· Get regular exercise of both the vigorous (aerobic) and gentle, stretching (such as yoga, pilates, and t’ai chi) varieties. Two to three sessions a week of at least 20 minutes – enough to build up a bit of a sweat – is a good goal.
· B-r-e-a-t-h-e well! Lots of people simply stop breathing when they are concentrating, or they breathe very shallowly. Focus on your breath at regular intervals during the day and ensure even, free breaths.
· Limit your vices! Moderate alcohol intake and stop or at least cut down on the cigarettes.
· De-stress. Practise stress management and aim for a good work-rest-play life balance with time for socialising, creativity, and enjoyment.
· Get plenty of good quality sleep.
· End each day with gratitude for everything in your life.