Try to limit night shift work, if that is possible. If you must work the night shift, the following tips may help you:
· Increase your total amount of sleep by adding naps and lengthening the amount of time you allot for sleep.
· Use bright lights in your workplace.
· Minimize your shift changes so that your body’s biological clock can adjust to a nighttime work schedule.
· Get rid of sound and light distractions in your bedroom during your daytime sleep.
· Use caffeine only during the first part of your shift to promote alertness at night.
If you are unable to fall asleep during the day, and all else fails, talk with your doctor to see if it would be wise for you to use prescribed, short-acting sleeping pills to help you sleep during the day.