Top Ten Ways to Make Christmas Meaningful for Your Family
1. Find a favorite Christmas story and make it a tradition to read it aloud on Christmas Eve.
2. Share your good fortune with others at Christmas by volunteering as a family for a charity or non-profit organization that’s close to your hearts.
3. Decorate your home each year with a special item that you’ve chosen or made as a family.
4. Choose your favorite holiday baking recipes and share an afternoon with friends and family baking up a storm.
5. Create a calendar with a different family photo each month to send to family and friends who can’t be with you during the year.
6. Plan an annual family activity for the Christmas season: It could be picking out the tree, tobogganing down a nearby hill, even heading to the local zoo—anything that captures the whole family’s interest.
7. Light the candles of an Advent wreath in succession every Sunday during December, talking about their symbolic meanings, such as love, hope, peace, and joy.
8. Buy or make a special tree ornament each year for the children in your family, and present them with the whole set when they have their own tree for the first time.
9. Turn letters to Santa into an event, with hot chocolate, cookies, and plenty of colorful pens and stickers to help with the letter writing.
10. Make writing thank-you letters for gifts a much-loved tradition, too, with yummy treats and a fun reward when the letters are finished.